Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Housekeeping

Housekeeping is very possibly one of my favorite books ever. I feel as though I can say this with assurance as I have read it several times now. Last night I picked it up expecting to read a chapter or two and found myself rereading it all in one sitting. I think the appeal of this book for me has a lot to do with affirmation of myself. I see myself in the reclusive Ruthie who narrates and her slightly insane aunt, Sylvie. It is also just a beautifully written book, though one of my favorite parts is not necessarily because of the poetic language, but a sentiment I share and think about in all those awkward social circumstances where small talk, or talk at all, is expected. It is when Lucille, Ruthie's younger and less awkward sister and her are walking together:

"I'm talking to you," Lucille said.
"I didn't hear you."
"Well, why don't you keep up with me? Then we could talk."
"What about?"
"What do other people talk about?"
I had often wondered.




No comments: