Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Indolence swept by my fading figure
as I laid my head to rest
among the charcoal lilies of a dying season.
People will scatter my ashes, I thought,
In shadowed places where moss
will smother me while I'm dead.
These thoughts, morbid as they were,
stemmed from a conversation held
between two elderly men
each gambling their lives to the other -
if you die first, so on and so forth.
Yet, I thought, what was this incessant churning?
The mind's willing knowledge out of dust,
willing control out of desperation,
or a tightly held hold on activity
when action is past pursuing?
So, instead, in passivity and peace,
I laid my fate down
In the scarred ruins of autumn
and prayed for the sun to shine
on my upturned face.

1 comment:

Abby said...

Is there a story behind this one? I like it.