Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Malicious weather.

As I went outside for a run today I felt the chill of eeriness rise into my being. The very movement of leaves behind me sounded like the rustle of a follower. The sky looked dark and blank with the wind moving every unfastened object to make them scrape and whistle around me. I felt as though I had stepped directly into a short story by Poe. Nature seems malicious today.

It is amazing to me how much the weather can affect people's moods, or at least my mood. Its not even the simple sadness versus happiness of rainy and sunny, instead there seems to be all kinds of differing levels of weather related moods. Fall, in general, is nostalgic. The crisp colors of death remind me of the various deaths in my life. The deaths of various homes, various moments. Fall reminds me of apple cider Saturday and of the winding roads of Gosling Marsh, or Files Cross or even Winebrenner. And where rain can be sad, it can also be cozy and comforting, or dark and sinister. I have a theory that this must depend on the level of wind, the temperature and the time of day, or whether or not it is merely rain, or also storm.

As it stands, today is of the eerie variety. The ominousness of the hazy clouds feels like a portent of doom with the smugness of their streaked gray sides.

No comments: